The Municipal elections are non-partisan and sometimes it’s hard to determine who to vote for if you don’t have time to attend Forums and research each candidate. That’s one reason turnout is typically so low. Yet, it is absolutely critical that we vote instead of ceding our power to a handful of voters to make decisions that affect our lives, families and communities. I have personally met and talked to most of the candidates listed below and believe they support my values. They care about public education and community. They support human rights for all and see value in diversity. They believe in fiscal responsibility, while appreciating the role government plays in improving our lives. They support equal pay for equal work and a living wage. They are progressive (or at least moderate) in their views. In a partisan election, most of them would identify as Democrats, but some are moderate Republicans or Independents.
I recommend the candidates below. In races where two progressives/moderates are competing, I’ve listed them both (and in some cases, indicated my preference with an *). For races with no progressives/moderates running, I have NOT listed them and have no recommendations.
Collin College Board of Trustees: Everyone in Collin County can vote for them.
- Place 2 – Jeri Landfair Chambers*or Nancy Wurzman
- Place 3 – Dr. Stacey Donald
PISD Board: Everyone in Plano Independent School District can vote for them.
- Place 1 – Carissa Picard
- Place 2 –Sreedhar “Sree” Yedavalli
- Place 6 –Marilyn Hinton or Trish Patterson (take your pick)
Plano City Council:
- Place 2 – Ann Bacchus
- Place 4 –Kayci Prince
- Place 6(Mayor) – Harry LaRosiliere
- Place 8 – Stirling Morris or David Downs (take your pick)
Allen City Council:
- Place 2 –Tabassum Ahmad
Carrollton/Farmers Branch ISD Board
- At-Large -Candace Valenzuela
Carrollton Mayoral Candidate
- Michelle Beckley
Frisco City Council
- Place 6 – K.D. Warach
Lewisville City Council
- Place 3 – Elena K. Claros
Melissa City Council
- Place 5 – Heather Martin
Melissa ISD Board
- Place 1 – HeatherKurlinski
McKinney City Council
- 3rdDistrict – Margaret Harsch* or Gavin Nicholson
Murphy City Council
- Place 3 – Elizabeth Abraham
Richardson City Council:
- Place 4 – Cory Montfort
- Vote Yes. Several communities have Bond issues on the ballot (Plano has 6). In general, I support Bond issues because they are investments to improve infrastructure, enhance shared services, and keep our communities vibrant and strong.
These are my opinions. Take them for what it’s worth. Or do your own research. But please vote! In the last mayoral elections, turnout in these cities ranged from a low of 2.8% to a high of 13%. If you share these recommendations (and I hope you will), please include the paragraphs at the top. Help get these solid, qualified candidates elected! Vote!
Hazel Weathers, President