It’s been wonderful to socialize and see some new faces at our recent events. We still have one social/discussion event remaining before our big organizational kickoff. I hope you can join us and let us know what you would like to see from WOW Dems as we get ready to launch. Email events to RSVP or for more information. Click here to become a WOW Dems member.
- Wed, Mar. 20, 6:30pm – After-work Coffee with focus group discussion on new organization. Frogg Coffee Bar and Creperie (832 Market St, Allen – Watters Creek).
- Wed, Mar 27, 6:30pm – BROADS Bookclub. Email Diane Groves for more details.
- April 18, 6:45pm – WOW Dems KickOff Celebration and Panel Discussion on Legislative Advocacy. Harrington Library Program Room (1501 18th Street, Plano).This event is not sponsored by the Plano Public Library System or the City of Plano.
Local Candidates. Collin County Gay and Lesbian Alliance (CCGLA) is organizing three Meet the Candidate events for local mayoral, city council, and school board candidates. WOW Dems is co-sponsoring/hosting these three events with CCGLA, so please show your support and take the opportunity to meet your candidates for local office in Frisco, McKinney, or Plano. If you have ever considered running for local office, these events are a great way to see campaigning for local office in action. Beer, wine, and light refreshments will be served. Email events if you plan to attend or would like additional information.
- Fri, Apr 5, 6:30pm – Plano Meet the Candidates. 4568 Southgate Dr., Plano, TX 75024.
- Wed, Apr 10, 6:00pm – McKinney Meet the Candidates. Town Square Buzz Offices, 201 N. Kentucky St., McKinney, TX 75069.
- Thurs, Apr 25, 6:30pm – Frisco Meet the Candidates. 11699 Kingsville Dr., Frisco, TX 75035.
Advocacy for Texas Legislature. The 83rd Texas Legislature is in session right now and there are plenty of bills to watch touching on issues ranging from women’s health to education and school funding. Bookmark for legislative action alerts and upcoming lobby days and events.
Lobby Days. Lobby Days for organizations around the state are ongoing. Take a day off work and go down to Austin to meet with your state representatives on critical issues. Not only will it be an incredible learning experience, but it’s a great opportunity to make an impact on the legislative process.
- April 3 (W) – Texas Freedom Network Rally/Lobby Day. TFN will host a rally on the capitol steps specifically for protecting access to birth control. They will have follow-on lobby activities the rest of the day.
- April 9 (Tu) – Blue Ribbon Lobby Day. Join Democratic and Progressive women across the state to stand up for Texas women and their families. Register here to attend lobby day in Austin or visit your local state legislator’s office the week of April 8.
We have several members attending each of these lobby days, so email president if you are interested in joining us for one or more of these events.