It’s been wonderful to socialize and see some new faces at our recent events. We still have one social/discussion event remaining before our big organizational kickoff. I hope you can join us and let us know what you would like to see from WOW Dems as we get ready to launch. Email events to RSVP or for more information. Click here to become a WOW Dems member.
- Wed, Mar. 20, 6:30pm – After-work Coffee with focus group discussion on new organization. Frogg Coffee Bar and Creperie (832 Market St, Allen – Watters Creek).
- Wed, Mar 27, 6:30pm – BROADS Bookclub. Email Diane Groves at mdgroves for more details.
- April 18, 6:45pm – WOW Dems KickOff Celebration and Panel Discussion on Legislative Advocacy. Harrington Library Program Room (1501 18th Street, Plano). This event is not sponsored by the Plano Public Library System or the City of Plano.
Local Elections.There are just two days left to file as a candidate in the local elections for city council, school board, and other positions scheduled for May 11. If you or anyone you know is interested in running for local office, contact your local city/school district for more information on filing. In addition, Collin College Board of Trustees has four places up for election. Click here for more information about running.
Advocacy for Texas Legislature.The 83rd Texas Legislature is in session right now and there are plenty of bills to watch touching on issues ranging from women’s health to education and school funding. Bookmark for legislative action alerts and upcoming lobby days and events.
Lobby Days. Lobby Days for organizations around the state are ongoing. Take a day off work and go down to Austin to meet with your state representatives on critical issues. Not only will it be an incredible learning experience, but it’s a great opportunity to make an impact on the legislative process.
- March 4-5 (M/Tu) –Collin County Days in Austin organized by the McKinney Chamber of Commerce.
- March 7 (Th) –Planned Parenthood Lobby Day. Buses leaving from Dallas and Ft. Worth.
- March 11 (M) –Equality Texas Legislative Days. Participants will be able to board the bus in either West Plano or Dallas and Collin County Gay and Lesbian Alliance (CCGLA) will provide breakfast and Lobby Day training aboard the bus.
- April 3 (W) –Texas Freedom Network Rally/Lobby Day. TFN will host a rally on the capitol steps specifically for protecting access to birth control. They will have follow-on lobby activities the rest of the day.
We have several members attending each of these lobby days, so email president if you are interested in joining us for one or more of these events.
Women Organizing Women Democrats