We had a great get together at our brunch last Saturday – not only was the food terrific, but we heard some great ideas about the direction and activities of WOW Dems over the next few years. We hope you can join us at our one or more of our upcoming socials or events. Email events to RSVP or for more information. Click here to become a WOW Dems member.
- Sat, February 23, 2pm – Coffee and Dessert with focus group discussion on new organization. MainStreet Bistro and Bakery (3600 Shire Blvd., Suite 160, Richardson – George Bush Turnpike/Jupiter Rd).
- Wed, Mar. 20, 6:30pm – After-work Coffee with focus group discussion on new organization. Frogg Coffee Bar and Creperie (832 Market St, Allen – Watters Creek).
- Wed, Mar 27, 6:30pm – BROADS Bookclub. Email Diane Groves at mdgroves for more details.
- April 18, 6:45pm – WOW Dems KickOff Celebration and Panel Discussion on Legislative Advocacy. Harrington Library Program Room (1501 18th Street, Plano). This event is not sponsored by the Plano Public Library System or the City of Plano.
Local Elections. Local elections are coming up on May 11, but the filing deadline for city council, school board, and other positions is March 1. So, if you or anyone you know is interested in running for local office, contact your local city/school district for more information on filing. In addition, Collin College Board of Trustees has four places up for election. Click here for more information.
Advocacy for Texas Legislature. The 83rd Texas Legislature is in session right now and there are plenty of bills to watch touching on issues ranging from women’s health to education and school funding. Bookmarkhttp://www.wowdems.org/category/legislative-action/ for legislative action alerts and upcoming lobby days and events.
Lobby Days. Lobby Days for organizations around the state are ongoing. Take a day off work and go down to Austin to meet with your state representatives on critical issues. Not only will it be an incredible learning experience, but it’s a great opportunity to make an impact on the legislative process.
- Feb 25-26 (M/Tu) – League of Women Voters Lobby Day. Events include a dinner in Austin honoring Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas & Cecilia Boone for all they have done for Women’s Health in Texas.
- March 4-5 (M/Tu) – Collin County Days in Austin organized by the McKinney Chamber of Commerce.
- March 7 (Th) – Planned Parenthood Lobby Day. Buses leaving from Dallas and Ft. Worth.
- March 11 (M) – Equality Texas Legislative Days. Participants will be able to board the bus in either West Plano or Dallas and Collin County Gay and Lesbian Alliance (CCGLA) will provide breakfast and Lobby Day training aboard the bus.
- April 3 (W) – Texas Freedom Network Rally/Lobby Day. TFN will host a rally on the capitol steps specifically for protecting access to birth control. They will have follow-on lobby activities the rest of the day.
Email: [email protected]